Answered By: Kate Britt Last Updated: Jan 05, 2018 Views: 7
Full access to Westlaw and Lexis Advance is only available to the MLaw community. There are a number of options available to members of the public who would like to conduct legal research.
University of Michigan Campus
- Lexis Nexis Academic, a subset of Lexis databases, is available to U of M students, staff, faculty and to public Patrons on the U-M Ann Arbor campus.
- The Law Library has a public terminal for the use of Bloomberg Law.
- Adams-Pratt Oakland County Law Library
- Seven terminals for public internet access and access to web-based Westlaw and HeinOnline for patrons free of charge. Access to Fastcase is also available, which now includes LoisLaw i.e., access to all Federal cases.
- For details call: (248) 858-0012.
- Arthur Neef Law Library, Wayne State University Law School
- Access to Lexis-Nexis & Westlaw terminals for enrolled students and attorneys with their own passwords. Lexis Academic is also available to the public.
- For details, contact the Reference Desk at: (313) 577-6180
- John F. Schaefer Law Library, Michigan State University-Detroit College of Law
- Access to Lexis-Nexis and Westlaw terminals for anyone who has a password. Westlaw searches available on demand for a reduced fee for DCL alumni only; searches must be done by DCL librarians.
- For details, call the Reference Desk at: (517) 432-6870.
- Westlaw and Lexis both offer plans for small firms and solo practitioners.
- Generally, these plans are specialized and prices are not available online.
- ICLE (Institute of Continuing Legal Education)
- ICLE provides seminars, books, and tools developed by and for practitioners in the state of Michigan.
- Purchasing a "Partnership" provides access to a range of ICLE products, but products can also be purchased a la carte.
- Contact (877) 229-4350 or (734) 764-0533 for additional information.
- Database of Federal and State cases, statutes, and codes. Includes a cite checker.
- Available for no cost to all members of the State Bar of Michigan.
- Call (877) 659-0801 for additional information about the service.
- Database of case law, statutes, regulations, court rules, constitutions, and law review articles.
- Pricing is available online for monthly and yearly subscriptions.
- Call (866) 773-2782 for additional information about the service.