Answered By: Kate Britt Last Updated: Apr 24, 2018 Views: 0
Answered By: Kate Britt
Last Updated: Apr 24, 2018 Views: 0
ABA Formal Opinions (1924- present) & Informal Opinions (1945- present):
- Opinions of the Committee on Professional Ethics: with the Canons of professional ethics, annotated, and Canons of judicial ethics, annotated (Smith/Annex KF 305. A2 1967) includes texts of formal opinions no. 1 -315 (1924-1966)
- Informal ethics opinions (Smith KF305 .A2 1975) 2-vol. set that contains texts of informal opinions C-230a – 1284 (1961-1973)
- Formal and Informal Ethics Opinions: Formal opinions 316-348, informal opinions 1285-1495 (Smith/Annex KF 305 .A2 1985a) includes texts of formal opinions 1967-1982 and informal opinions 1974 to 1982.
- Formal and informal ethics opinions, 1983-1998 (Smith KF 305 .A2 2000x) Contains formal opinions 349-412 and informal opinions 1496-1530
- ABA/BNA lawyers' manual on professional conduct (Smith KF 305 .A8 A23x) Contains informal and formal opinions 1980-present.
- Also available online through Bloomberg Law
- Lexis Advance
- ABA Formal Ethics Opinions 1924-present (Search "FOPIN")
- ABA Informal Ethics Opinions 1959-2009 (Search "INFOP")
- Westlaw: Search "ABA Ethics Opinions"
- Formal Opinion coverage begins January 1924
- Informal Opinion coverage begins July 1961
- ABA ethics opinions are available for purchase online, and can be downloaded free of charge by ABA members for one year after their issuance.
State Codes and Ethics Opinions
- National Reporter on Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility (SMITH KF 306 .A45 N38x) contains 50 states ethics codes and judicial opinions for some states.
- Most state bar websites publish their own ethics opinions
Michigan Ethics Opinions