Answered By: Kate Britt Last Updated: Jul 15, 2020 Views: 140
Full access to Westlaw and Lexis Advance is only available to the MLaw community. MLaw faculty or students with questions regarding access to Westlaw or Lexis Advance should contact Kate E. Britt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are a number of options available to members of the public who would like to conduct legal research.
University of Michigan Campus
- Nexis Uni, a subset of Lexis databases, is available to U of M students, staff, faculty and to public Patrons on the U-M Ann Arbor campus.
- Oakland County Legal Resources Center
- Seven terminals for public internet access and access to web-based Westlaw and HeinOnline for patrons free of charge. Access to Fastcase is also available, which now includes LoisLaw i.e., access to all Federal cases.
- For details call: (248) 858-0012.
- Arthur Neef Law Library, Wayne State University Law School
- Access to Lexis-Nexis & Westlaw terminals for enrolled students and attorneys with their own passwords. Lexis Academic is also available to the public.
- For details, contact the Reference Desk at: (313) 577-6180
- John F. Schaefer Law Library, Michigan State University-Detroit College of Law
- Access to Lexis-Nexis and Westlaw terminals for anyone who has a password. Westlaw searches available on demand for a reduced fee for DCL alumni only; searches must be done by DCL librarians.
- For details, call the Reference Desk at: (517) 432-6870.
- Westlaw and Lexis both offer plans for small firms and solo practitioners.
- Generally, these plans are specialized and prices are not available online.
- ICLE (Institute of Continuing Legal Education)
- ICLE provides seminars, books, and tools developed by and for practitioners in the state of Michigan.
- Purchasing a "Partnership" provides access to a range of ICLE products, but products can also be purchased a la carte.
- Contact (877) 229-4350 or (734) 764-0533 for additional information.
- Database of Federal and State cases, statutes, and codes. Includes a cite checker.
- Available for no cost to all members of the State Bar of Michigan.
- Call (877) 659-0801 for additional information about the service.
- Database of case law, statutes, regulations, court rules, constitutions, and law review articles.
- Pricing is available online for monthly and yearly subscriptions.
- Call (866) 773-2782 for additional information about the service.
University of Michigan Alumni
- Members of the Michigan Alumni Association have access to certain professional and academic databases through the University Library.
- For information about membership fees and database access, see the Alumni Association website: https://alumni.umich.edu/career/u-m-library-resources/